Whether your region experiences moderate or dramatic temperature changes from season to season, the arrival of fall means it is time to switch gears from cooling to heating. To maintain optimal comfort, drive energy efficiency through the heating months, and protect your HVAC investment, schedule professional fall maintenance for your ductless mini split system.
Professional Mini Split Maintenance
Ductless mini splits are air-source heat pump and A/C systems that utilize sophisticated components to provide home heating and cooling efficiently and quietly. It is important to work with a reputable HVAC contractor that specializes in the installation and maintenance of ductless systems for best and exacting results. Following are the basic procedures your ductless professional performs:
- Airflow: Air-source heat pumps require free airflow to the indoor and outdoor heat-exchange coils. The air filter inside the indoor air-handling unit (AHU) is removed and cleaned. The outdoor cabinet is inspected for airflow obstructions.
- Cleaning: The coils are deep-cleaned to remove debris and contaminants, and to help prevent mold and mildew growth. Clean coils are important for efficient heating and cooling.
- Refrigerant: The refrigerant lines, coils and flare connections are inspected for leakage.
- Drainage: Clear drainage must be maintained to prevent water leaks and damage. Drain lines are flushed and treated to clear and inhibit algae and mold growth.
- Electrical contacts: Wiring and contacts are inspected for wear. Poor wiring and electronics can cause ice to form on the outdoor coil (heating months) and indoor coil (cooling months).
- Compression: High-performance ductless mini splits utilize digital inverter-driven compressors, electronic expansion valves (EEV), and sophisticated sensors to prepare, regulate and monitor super-heating of high-efficiency refrigerant. Only a trained and skilled technician should inspect and test these components.
- Homeowner care tips: Clean the air filter each month. A dirty filter blocks heat exchange and increases energy bills. Check the outside cabinet periodically for airflow obstructions, such as leaves, ice and snow (depending on your regional weather).
If you have questions, or if you would like to schedule fall maintenance for your ductless mini split, please contact us to connect with a Mitsubishi Electric Contractor in your area.